By Nadia Nasah
With the cold that the winter season brings it could often be difficult to find the motivation to exercise and stay healthy. Here is a list of tips that could help you brave through this winter season!
- It is very easy to overeat, so it is important that you maintain the same exercise schedule and to take your diabetes medication.
- During dinner try to stick to meat, vegetables, and side salads to help keep your blood sugar levels from skyrocketing. You can even try a sweet or two, just make sure to add them as part of the carbohydrate portion of your diet and not as extras.
- When drinking alcohol, make sure you do so with a meal and not on an empty stomach. For diabetics, it is recommended to not exceed more than one drink a day for women and two for men (1 drink = 4 ounces of wine, 12 oz of beer, and 1 ounce of distilled spirits).
- There are also really cool apps such as Glucose Buddy, MySugr, DiabetesConnect, Sugar Sense, One Drop, and BG Monitor Diabetes, that you can download for free to help you count the number of carbohydrates in certain food and to help you keep track of your blood sugar level, and even medication!
- Going to a restaurant doesn’t have to be an unhealthy choice! Just make sure to choose options with less saturated fats, sugar, and fried foods. Instead of French fries and mashed potatoes, order boiled or baked potatoes. They most likely have the healthy dishes labelled as healthy in certain restaurants, making it so much easier to enjoy your meal without worries.
- When going over a friend or family member’s dinner, bring in a light, low-calorie, healthy meal. Try to include as many vegetables as possible. If you need help or ideas about what to make, just go to the American Diabetes Association website, they have plenty of recipes ready for you: http://www.diabetes.org
- When going to a party, play it smart by first munching on some healthy appetizers like vegetables and later some meats and cheese. This way you fill up on veggies first that way you eat less cheese and meat. Try placing the appetizers in a napkin instead of a plate, that way you will be less likely to overfill it. Also, do not seat near the food table, it can be too tempting!
- Exercising may be a little more difficult around this time so instead, try doing some fun activity with your family. Enjoy games like Just Dance or Zumba on the Wii.